Our Vision and Mission
Vision: Promoting the health renewal of Africa through increased access to Safe Blood
Mission and values
Through it's projects and efforts SBFA strives:
To facilitate capacity building of African Blood Services to deliver adequate, accessible and affordable Safe Blood through appropriate best practices (based on the WHO’s strategy for global blood safety (www.who.int/bloodsafety)).
The Safe Blood for Africa Foundation™ (SBFA) subscribes to and advocates the values and ethical principles of the WHO, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and the International Society of Blood Transfusion. These values are key words or statements that result in guiding the behaviour of all who are associated with the organisation. Recognising this, SBFA requires all those associated with it to subscribe to the following value statements:
- Ethical behaviour in every transaction;
- Dignity; and
- The spirit of “unhu”, “ubuntu”, “gira ubuntu”, obuntu”, botho.
These values underpin our approach to assisting Africans to solve Africa’s problems and we seek to develop sustainable interventions that are owned by the governments we work with. As the majority of our experts are themselves Africans, of several generations of Blood Safety Professionals, the strategy seeks to eradicate the culture of entitlement and dependency that has plagued Africa for decades and hampered its development.
Key aims and objectives are to:
- facilitate the development of sustainable National Blood Services;
- particularly support development of Voluntary, Non-remunerated Blood Donation in Africa;
- promote the implementation of WHO’s, and other internationally recognized, Quality Assurance Systems; and
- develop appropriate collaborative partnerships with any organisation sharing our values, to assist in synergizing activities and improved Blood Safety.